Monday, October 27, 2008

Return from Thistlewaite

All of the boys and I returned from the hunt Sunday afternoon. We didn't see any deer but had a great trip, just the same. The deer refused to cooperate. I checked in the wildlife agent manning the check-in station to gather stats on the over-all hunt. As of ten-thirty Sunday morning, zero deer had been shot. I found it hard to believe and so did Mr. Tom.
I am impressed with Thistlewaite. It is a prime area to hunt, is well managed and boasts a very sizable deer herd. The recent hurricane, Gustav, wreaked havoc on a lot of the large mast-producing oak trees. Loggers are in the process of reclaiming as many of the downed trees as possible. Agriculture fields surround the area and provide a ready food source for the animals when the acorns and natural browse are scarce. We found plenty of sign to indicate the deer are numerous. Chris and Pat would have each gotten one if they had cooperated. Each of the boys did an excellent job in the woods and had a good time. I'm especially proud of Matthew for spending his time with us and for mentoring his youngest brother, Pat. We'll just blame our lack of venison on the beautiful weather and give this one to the deer.

P.S. I thought the boys were going to get more of an education than I had bargained for when we pulled into the only campground availabe. Willie's Washington Campround and bar. The attendant first offered to us a space directly behind the bar which would feature a live band Saturday night. You can imagine my relief when I found a space available in the south forty, well away from the loud foot stomping bar.

No comments: