Tuesday, October 21, 2008

newspaper interview

OCTOBER 21, 2008

I took my youngest son, Patrick, with me recently to Sam Houston Jones State Park. The reason for the special trip was to meet Nona Cross, a writer for the Southwest Daily news. She had contacted me to do an interview on several different subjects. Subjects ranging from how did I manage to introduce my seven sons to the outdoors and what it meant to them and me. She was very interested to hear about some of my outdoor experiences and the may reasons I had for writing them down to share with everyone else. I must admit, at first, I was a little nervous and self-conscious when the questioning began, but she soon put me at ease and the three of us began having a lot of fun. I was glad to have Pat along. He set the perfect example for me, by effortlessly answering a few questions of his own. We had so much fun visiting and fellowshipping, the time simply flew by. The next thing we knew, three hours had passed and the sun was rapidly disappearing over the western horizon, forcing us to consider ending the interview to return home. Moments later, as Nona and I were saying our good-byes, Patrick, with an excited tone in his voice, directed our attention to a doe walking past us, only forty yards distant. We thanked God for the beautiful sight and perfect ending. Nona did tell me that she'd let me know if or when the paper decided to run the story. When she gives me the details, I'll try to remember to pass it along. If the paper prints it or not Nona, thanks for the honor of being interviewed by you and for making all of the hard work worthwhile, and you did it all by yourself.

Another little note you may find a little interesting. You may or may not already know, I'm following in my father's footsteps and working on my thirtieth year for the railroad. Today I had to take my qualification exam on how to operate a remote controlled engine. A lot of people don't realize we can operate engines with a small transmitter device, not much different than the ones operating the remote controlled cars you purchase for the children at Christmas time. It always amazes me the lengths some companys will go through to put a person out of work, so remember to approach all railroad crossings safely, please don't break an old trainman's heart. Oh yea, I almost forgot, I managed to pass the test!

No comments: