Saturday, November 15, 2008

Why name it "A Louisiana Outdoor Legacy"

In the beginning, I didn't think I needed to title the collection of stories, as a whole. Remember, the origininal purpose was to preserve them for my own children, I didn't feel the need to have an over-all title. They would know all of the stories came from their dad. Shortly after recieving strong recommendations (arm twisting), from total strangers, family and friends to publish, I realized I had to have a binding title. Each story required their own name and a special title to glue them all together. As I recalled and recorded each story from memory, the thickness of the manuscript increased. A sudden awareness became clear to me. They weren't just humorous tales of outdoor adventure. Each represented an important link in a chain of events shaping my life and creating the person I am.

I had a lot of influential people to thank for that, but first, I need to thank God. I had grown to know all of the events were gifts from Our Father. He was there with me, protecting me from harm, the whole time. He deserves much more credit and praise than I can ever give him. So I'll simply say, thank you Father. And accept the knowledge within my heart, he knows I sincerely mean it. He is the first link.

He began by blessing me with Dad (William Ralph Hennigan). An honest, hardworking man filled with a passion to spend his sparse leisure time in Louisiana's wild outdoors. His own dad had passed away when he was only eight years old. Knowing how precious time is, it was only natural that he introduced me to the outdoor world, at a very young age. Something his Dad had managed to do for him in the short amount of time they had together. Something I committed to do with my own children and did. Can you see where this is all going? It is what it is . . . a real legacy. A chain of events, binding the generations together, that began with a nameless, but appreciated fore-father, a long, long time ago. It's a legacy more valuable to me than all of the money in the world. It is full of wonderful memories of love, bonding adventure, shared hardships, challenges and self sacrifice that will endure long after all of the money is gone.

Pondering deep thoughts like these, It became easier to find the name to bind the stories.

"A Louisiana Outdoor Legacy" . . . ALOL for short.
A Lots of Love
A Lots of Laughter
A Lots of Luck
A Lots of . . . help.

No comments: