Monday, October 25, 2010

Clear Creek youth hunt with Christopher

Early Saturday afternoon Christopher and I arrived at the primitive camp ground and parked the airstream. After a long hike through the woods, we climbed separate trees and settled in for the hunt. Chris caught my attention and informed me he had seen two turkeys. Other than the sighting of the two birds and with the exception of one squirrel, we didn't see anything else for the rest of the day.



After a good night's rest we headed back to the wood, climbed our trees and got settled in our stands twenty minutes before daylight. At ten o'clock Chris saw two doe leap across a lane cut through the pine tree plantation. He tells me to use the deer call. I picked up the doe call and bleat to them about four times. Three minutes later, I spotted two young deer coming our way and about to step out into the lane. I saw Chris looking the other way and knew he had no clue deer were so close. I had to get his attention without spooking the deer.

"Chris," I softly whispered.

He turned his head and made eye contact. I held up two fingers and pointed toward the deer.

"Two deer, get ready," I tell him. And he gives me this incredible look, as if to say, "You've got to be kidding me."



I couldn't believe it! I did everything I could except shout to make him believe me and he finally looked to where I was frantically pointing, begging him to shoot. He saw the first deer step out, raised his rifle and shot, dropping it on the spot! He told me later how he really did think I was pulling his leg.

During the long hike out of the woods, he caught my attention and told me had to take a break to rest. His request filled me with a sense of self-satisfaction since, it was only last November that it was I demanding the breaks. And it was Chris and Matthew calling me the old man. Folks, let me tell you, the walking has paid off big time! It'll be a while before I hear the boys picking on me again. So, if you can, take a few minutes out of each day and do some walking. Once you get past the first step, you've got it made. And get outdoors where good memories and strong bonds are formed.

1 comment:

Trisha Hennigan said...

Glad that you and Chris made it safely out of the burning woods. Sounds like a trip that will never be forgotten.