Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Summer Activities

We went to Lawton, Oklahoma to see Michael graduate from boot camp. We are all so very proud of him. While there the boys and I climbed Mt. Scott in the Wichita moutain range and spent some quality time with Michael before he continued his training. Thank God, Michael inspired me to begin walking three months prior to the visit and therefore losing thirty pounds and four inches in the waist, I had forgotten how strenuous mountain climbing is. Folks, I can't say enough to encourage you into getting out and doing a little walking on a daily basis. It has revitalized me so much so that I can proudly proclaim I am now ready for hunting season to begin. If I can do it, anybody can.

Michael was so committed to joining the US Army he lost approx. seventy pounds by dieting and excersizing. I literally watched my son melt before my eyes! Word spread about town and the next thing I knew a reporter from the Lake Charles American Press was showing up to interview Michael for a human interest story. Her name was and still is Claudette and the story she wrote made the front page! Like I said, we're all real proud of him for his determination to see his goal completed and for inspiring the rest of us and others to work to stay healthy.

Something else you may need to know is Claudette is not your average everyday newspaper reporter. She also happens to be the editor for the OUTDOOR section of the paper. And I've been one her biggest fans ever since she had signed on with the paper. Talk about God putting the right people in your life!

During the elapsed time since first meeting her, I've managed to introduce her to the challenges of archery with the help of the Lake Charles Archery Club and gar fishing. She's fun to be around and a quick learner. She also is in possession of one of my manuscripts of the hopefully soon to be published book, "My Father's Gift." Of course I feel like I'm on the hot seat and nervously await her judgement.

Speaking of the book, I've recently recieved an endorsement from Rev. Gene Winkler after he was so gracious of taking the time to review it. He said he thoroughly enjoyed reading the book during a recent family trip and ended up having to share it with the rest of his family and hoped I didn't mind. You see, what happened was this: Rev. Gene had sat in back reading and chuckling while his son drove and his wife sat up front wondering what was wrong. He had to tell them and of course I didn't mind!

Another thing, some months ago a dear friend of cousin Colleen came all the way from California to visit. Colleen had brought her over to our home so we could have the pleasure of meeting her, for the first time. The subject of my writing came up and the next thing I knew, Kay began reading the manuscript. They had an appointment to keep and Colleen kept nagging her to put it down, but she refused! She flatly told Colleen she was the one responsible for her starting to read it and now she had to see it to the end, to sit down and relax. And she did! Like I've said that was some months ago and I haven't heard from Kay since. That is until recently, I was surprised to recieve through the mail, via Colleen, one of author Patrick F. McManus' books titled "The Night The Bear Ate Goombaw." Kay had inscribed inside the front cover how she found my writing very similar and how the book had once belonged to her beloved late husband Roger. I am so humbled. Thank you Kay, for the precious gift and your encouraging words. I'm reinspired and I promise to continue to do my best to see the book published for you and for Roger.

No comments: